Canadian Agriculture Literacy Month (CALM)
Mois de la littératie agricole canadienne (MLAC)
CALM is a hands-on program that brings agriculture into classrooms and encourages students to learn about and celebrate Canadian agriculture. Many students don’t fully understand what agriculture is. By telling students why you love Canadian agriculture and giving them a glimpse of what you do, you will open their eyes to new knowledge, help them build a stronger appreciation for the food they eat, and for the role agriculture plays in their lives.
All teachers will be provided with a hands-on agriculture activity and an agriculture themed book in addition to a classroom visit from you – our volunteers!
Every year, we need a team of over 150 volunteers to meet the demand for CALM. We anticipate with being back in-person that the demand from teachers will be high — so we are calling on you! If you are passionate about sharing your story and want to present to students in the classroom, we will take as many presentations as you're willing to offer. French AND English speaking volunteers needed!
Please note! We are changing the focus of this program to allow us and our volunteers to take advantage of the great agriculture curriculum connections with grades 2 to 4 students.
Who: Grade 2 to 4 students
Date: March 2023
Where: Manitoba classrooms
Time: 45-60 minutes
How: We match you with a teacher and you arrange a date and time with your teacher in March for your presentaiton
Presentation Details/Things to think about:
- We will provide training to provide you with ideas and tips on how you can put together an engaging presentation. As a CALM volunteer, you will still share YOUR story!
- Think about what you want to share about what you do in agriculture. How can you tell your story in a fun and engaging way to students? Think pictures, props, interesting stories… you could even make a video from your farm or workplace to show students!
- The CALM 2023 classroom activity will focus on Food Loss & Waste where students will follow food from farm to plate and beyond. Students will learn about the impact of food waste and loss on food security and the environment. As a volunteer, you will help them discover what farmers and those in the agriculture industry do to reduce food loss and waste along this journey, and how they can explore food waste reduction at home and school. (FR/EN)
New to AITC-M?
If you didn't participate in CALM 2022, you will need to:
- Create a volunteer profile with your name and email address
- Fill out a volunteer application
- Register for CALM after we approve your volunteer application
Save your username and pasword to register to volunteer for any of our programs.